Are Electric cars worth it?
Buying a car is a dream harboured by many but with rise in prices of all commodities it is becoming difficult day-by-day to turn this dream into reality. After a home, a car is typically the second most expensive purchase anyone makes and settling on a new vehicle is not a decision that one can take hastily. Every year car makers are launching newer variants of cars to allure the customers and provide them with more features at reasonable rates. Such has been the advancement in technology that cars have gone beyond the use of fuels. The newest kid in the block is the electric car.
The electric car has been around in the automobile market for almost half a decade now with the total tally of electric cars on US roads reaching up to 38% of the total vehicle population. But do electric cars have an upper hand over the conventional fuel driven ones? Let us take a look at some of the pros and cons of electric cars:
- Cheaper than fuel cars- We all know that fuel, be it petrol or diesel, is a non- renewable resource and thus is depleting every passing day which has led to a steady price hike of the fuel every year. On the other hand people have generated numerous methods to generate electricity from various natural renewable resources as well making it a much easily available entity. The steady availability of electricity brings down its cost thus making electric cars a much cheaper car to run.
- Can be easily charged- If you own a fuel car you have to fill in the tank only from a gas station. However for electric cars you can sit in the comfort of your house and charge up your car without having to go out. Most electric vehicles reach about 80% of charge in 30 minutes.
- No noise pollution and eco-friendly- All fuel based cars make a distinct noise that can be irksome. At 65 mph, the average interior noise of a car with an internal combustion engine is around 70 dB. Electric vehicles, on the other hand, are almost whisper-quiet. This makes for a quiet drive. Even with respect to carbon emission the gasoline cars are more hazardous than the electric cars.
- Higher speed- Electric vehicles offer superior power-to-weight-ratios compared to traditional cars. Electric motors provide constant torque over time and a greater amount of available power. Even relatively weak electric motors usually accelerate faster than similarly powerful cars with internal combustion engines
- Easier to maintain- Unlike the conventional gasoline cars the maintenance check list of electric cars are much smaller making the cost of maintenance lesser than fuel cars.
- High initial cost- The cost of maintenance may be less but currently electric cars are costlier than gasoline cars. However it is expected that the cost can be reduced in the coming years with more production and technological advancement.
Fewer options- Since its inception a few years back the electric car has gained popularity. But the buyers are still looking for more options in electric cars in terms of design, technology and features. The limited option is a draw-back but car makers are working towards the launch of newer variants in the coming years.
Get the Mahindra First Choice advantage! Check Certified Used Car in Mumbai!
Select Your City > Choose Your Favorite Car > Buy From Local MFC Dealers