Chairman & Managing Director
Mahindra & Mahindra
President (Group HR,
Corporate Services & After-Market)
and Member of Group Executive Board.
Dr. Nagendra Palle
Mahindra First Choice Wheels
Anand G. Mahindra graduated with Honours (Magna cum laude) from Harvard College, Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1977. In 1981, he secured an MBA degree from the Harvard Business School, Boston, Massachusetts. He returned to India that year and joined Mahindra Ugine Steel Company Ltd (MUSCO), the country’s foremost producer of specialty steels, as Executive Assistant to the Finance Director. In 1989, he was appointed President and Deputy Managing Director of the company.
During his stint at MUSCO, he initiated the Mahindra Group’s diversification into the new business areas of real estate development and hospitality management.
In the summer of 1991, he was appointed Deputy Managing Director of Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., the country’s dominant producer of off-road vehicles and agricultural tractors. He initiated a comprehensive change programme in Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. to make the company an efficient and aggressive competitor in the new liberalized economic environment in India.
In April 1997, he was appointed Managing Director of Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., and in January 2003, given the additional responsibility of Vice Chairman. On 9th August 2012, he was appointed Chairman and Managing Director.
Today, the Mahindra Group is a US $ 16.5 billion organization, and one of India’s top 10 industrial houses. Mahindra has evolved into a socially and environmentally responsible global federation of companies with a leading presence in each sector in which it is present.
Mahindra is present across the automotive spectrum - two-wheelers, three-wheelers, commercial vehicles, SUVs, MPVs to sedans, tractors, and even powerboats and aircrafts. In addition, the Group’s diversified nature of business spans many frontiers – automotive components, finance, insurance, IT, retail, real estate, hospitality, logistics, after- market.
During Anand’s tenure, Mahindra has also grown inorganically, seizing opportunities across the globe. Recent acquisitions include Ssangyong Motors, Reva Electric Car Company, Satyam Computer Services, Aerostaff Australia, Gippsland Aeronautics among others.
Anand Mahindra is the co-founder of the Harvard Business School Association of India, an association dedicated to the promotion of professional management in India.
He was a co-promoter of Kotak Mahindra Finance Ltd., which in 2003 was converted into a bank. Kotak Mahindra is one of the foremost private sector banks today.
As a leading industry figure, he has served as President of the Confederation of Indian Industry in 2003-04 and has also been President of the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI). He also served on the Boards of the National Stock Exchange of India and the National Council of Applied Economic Research, and as a member of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research.
Anand continues to receive several honours, a few of which are:
- ‘Knight of the Order of Merit’ by the President of the French Republic.
- Rajiv Gandhi Award 2004 for outstanding contribution in the business field
- 2005 Leadership Award from the American India Foundation for his, and the Mahindra Group’s commitment to corporate social responsibility.
- CNBC Asia Business Leader Award for the year 2006.
- The Most Inspiring Corporate Leader of the Year 2007 from NDTV Profit.
- Business Man of the Year 2007 from Business India.
- Harvard Business School Alumni Achievement Award 2008.
- National Statesman for Excellence in Business Practices – Qimpro Platinum Standard 2008 Award by Qimpro Foundation.
- CNBC TV18 Outstanding Business Leader of the Year 2009
- Business Leader of the Year 2009 by Economic Times
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year India award for 2009
- Indian of the Year award 2009 by NDTV
- IMC Juran Quality Medal 2010 by IMC Ramkrishna Bajaj National Quality Award Trust
- Featured in Asia’s 25 most powerful business people of 2011 by Fortune magazine
- Lloyds Banking Group Business Leader of the Year Award at The Asian Awards 2011
- JRD Tata Corporate Leadership Award 2011 from the All India Management Association
- Global Leadership Award June 2012 by the US-India Business Council
- Business Courage Award 2012 by Asia Business Leadership Forum
- Best Transformational Leader Award 2012 by the Asian Centre For Corporate Governance & Sustainability
- Business Leader of the Year 2012 by NDTV
- 'Special Recognition for Creating a True Global Indian MNC' at India's Best Market Analyst Award 2013 by Zee Business
- Forbes India Leadership Awards 2013 ‘Entrepreneur for the Year’
- Sustainable Development Leadership Award 2014 from The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI)
Contribution to Thought Leadership
Anand frequently shares his views and ideas on the Indian economy and business through his writings in some of India’s leading business magazines.
He is one businessman to have grasped the power of social media and has set a trend on how it can be used for business, brand building, consumer interaction. He is on Twitter under the handle @anandmahindra and has close to a million followers. He has been ranked third in the inaugural ‘WorldofCEOs.com’ 2013 ranking of the ‘Top 30 CEOs on Social Media’.
Anand serves on the following Boards and Committees:
- India Design Council – Chairman
- National Sports Development Fund (NSDF), Government of India – Council and Executive Committee
- The Nehru Centre, Mumbai - Executive Committee
- Empowered Committee on Mumbai Transformation
- India Council for Sustainable Development – Member
- Board of Trade, Government of India
- Governing Council of the National Institute of Design – Chairman
- National Council for Electric Mobility
- Committee for Reforming the Regulatory Environment for Doing Business in India – Member
- Chairperson of Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI)
Anand Mahindra is included in Fortune Magazine’s list of The World’s 50 Greatest Leaders in 2014. Fortune magazine also named him as one of the top 25 most powerful business people in Asia for the year 2011.
A regular at World Economic Forum’s annual meetings, Anand Mahindra was the WEF co-chair in 2009. He represents Indian industry at several global meets, including the APEC CEO Summit in 2009.
Anand currently serves as the Honorary Ambassador of Foreign Investment Promotion for the Republic of Korea.
Anand also serves as a member of the International Advisory Council of Singapore’s Economic Development Board, which is the lead government agency for planning and executing strategies to enhance it s position as a global business centre.
Other Boards and Committees that he serves on:
- Harvard Business School - Asia–Pacific Advisory Board
- Harvard University Asia Centre - Advisory Committee
- Harvard Global Advisory Council
- Asia Business Council
- Global Board of Advisors of the Council on Foreign Relations
- World Bank Group’s Advisory Board for Doing Business
A firm believer in the power of education, Anand initiated the Nanhi Kali programme about two decades ago to provide free education to economically underprivileged girls in the country. There are over 70,000 Nanhi Kalis across the country today.
He is a Trustee of the K.C. Mahindra Education Trust, which provides scholarships to students, and is also on the Board of Governors of the Mahindra United World College of India.
Anand believes that a study of liberal arts is essential in shaping leaders of the future. He has given the largest personal donation overseas by an Indian – an endowment of 10 million USD to the Harvard Humanities Centre, which is being relaunched as the Mahindra Humanities Centre.
He is a strong votary of arts and culture. Mahindra recently launched the Mahindra Sanatkada Festival, which celebrates the art, culture, and history of Lucknow.
Anand is co-founder of Naandi Danone, which is the largest safe drinking water provider to rural areas of the country, catering to nearly 3 million customers.
Anand is also a Life Trustee on the Board of Naandi Foundation, a leader in providing meals to 1.3 million children daily and academic support in over 1800 government schools. Naandi also brings the best of agriculture and natural resource management to the largest number of small and marginal farmers across the country.
Rajeev is the President Group HR, Corporate Services and the Aftermarket sector at Mahindra & Mahindra. His key focus areas are HR/IR initiatives for the Group, the Aftermarket Sector whose CEO's report to him, Corporate Communications, Government Relations, and Infrastructure. He is the Chairman of Mahindra Insurance Brokers and Mahindra First Choice services. In addition, he serves on the Boards of several Group companies including Mahindra Intertrade, Mahindra Electrical Steel, Mahindra First Choice Wheels and Mahindra Retail. He is Chairman of the CSR Council and the Corporate Governance Cell of the Group, a Member of the Group Sustainability Council and the Governing Council of the Mahindra Institute of Quality.
He joined Mahindra & Mahindra in January 2004, after a career spanning 29 years in the Tata Group, which he joined in 1975 as a member of the TAS, the central managerial cadre of the Tata Group. He spent 21 years with Tata Steel, and the next seven years as Managing Director and CEO first of Tata Metaliks, and then of Rallis India. He studied Economics at St. Stephens College, Delhi University, where he was ranked first in the University, and at the Delhi School of Economics, where he received a National Scholarship. He went on to do his MBA from the Yale School of Management, USA as a J.N. Tata scholar, and was selected as a Distinguished Alumnus of the School.
Rajeev is President of the Employers' Federation of India (EFI), National President of NHRDN, co-Chair of the National Committee on Skill Development of CII, serves on the CII National Committee of Leadership and HR, and the CII Apex Council on Affirmative Action. He is also a member of the National Executive Committee of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI). He serves on the Boards of Walchand Talent First, the Lal Bahadur Shastri Insititute of Management and Technology (LBSIMT), the School of Inspired Leadership (SOIL) and Magic Bus - an NGO that works with underprivileged youth.
Rajeev has been involved in theatre and has acted in numerous TV and radio plays and semi-professional theatre groups in Delhi and Kolkata. An avid book lover, he also practices yoga and reiki regularly. He has also explored past-life experiences and fire-walking.
Rajeev currently lives in Mumbai with his wife, Padma. They have a daughter and a son.
Nagendra is the CEO of Mahindra First Choice Wheels Ltd. (MFCWL), India’s No. 1 multi-brand used car company. Dr. Palle has over 20 years of deep automotive experience in used car retail and wholesale as well as automotive e-commerce in India and overseas.
Previously, Dr. Palle worked with leading global organizations including Ford Motor Company, Visteon Automotive Systems, A. T. Kearney and Accenture in functions spanning R&D, business planning, strategy, finance, mergers and acquisitions and online used vehicle retailing and auction.
Dr. Palle has a B-Tech from IIT Madras, and went on to do his Masters of Science in Applied Mechanics from the Colorado School of Mines, USA and a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA. He also has an MBA from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, where he graduated with distinction with Finance and Strategy as his areas of focus.